It is the absolute craze. Everyone in the social food hemisphere seems to have tried it, there is a billion different recipes out there and especially the paleo community seems to be overly grateful for a previously underated veggie: CAULIFLOWER.
I have to admit, I bought my first fresh head of cauliflower in march this year – never thought I would probably increase my supermarket’s cauliflower orders by 500% as I am having it so often, they already might know me as “that cauli girl”.
But I did not have any cauli experience before playing around and finally settling for a pizza base recipe from @elliebellxo – another amazing inspiration within the real food world. The only time I can remember eating it was probably when I was a kid and my grandmother made it – a typical Bavarian take on it with bread crumbs and liters of brown butter.
Now,I use this base multiple times a week and I don’t even know how to call it – tortilla, naan, flatbread, pizza base … I’ll stick with tortilla now, because that’s what I like to use it for most times.
Paleo Cauliflower Tortilla
- 250g raw cauliflower, finely riced
- 1 tsp physillium husk powder
- 2 egg whites
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional if filled with my paleo nutella)
Rice your cauliflower in the blender until it reaches a fine rice-y texture. Mix with all the dry ingredients and fold in your egg whites.
Pad onto a baking sheet – my Philips Airfryer allowes only the small round shape – and bake at 185• for 10-12 min until the top is browning and the edges get crispy.
I flip the tortilla then and bake it for another 5 min until the other side is golden brown as well..
I already used the base as
- traditional cauliflower pizza base, topped with tomato sauce, ham, veggies and mozzarella
- cauliflower wrapped stuffed with salad, grilled chicken and tzaziki
- breakfast taquitos filled with either cream cheese or my beloved paleo avocado nutella
- crispy parmesan nachos by cutting the rounds into nacho shaped triangles, bread in parmesan and bake for another 3-5 min