When it comes to nibbles, I am more you savory snack kind of girl – and I love cake. To decribe it with my friend Stefans words – I am a “Kuchentiger”.
But as most cakes are made with flour, I had to cancel them out of my diet – except the occassional lowcarb carrot cake made with nuts or gluten free baked goods from my local organic supermarket. But still this means a extra load of strachy carbs, which I try to avoid as you might have noticed.
Why do I do it and how do I satisfy the occasional treat cravings?
Well, in my experience over the past 8 months I found that my fitness goals are more easily achieved when I am on a low carb/high fat paleo route – what this means in detail will be explained in a separate post coming soon.
But as I work out a lot, I also need to keep my protein levels quite high to mainly avoid muscle loss through the deficit I am often tapping into.
Some benefits of high protein snacks, I can 100% testify:
- Greater muscle mass and lean tissue
- Less hunger and reduced calorie intake
- Less belly fat
- Better bone density and lower risk of osteoporosis
- Better sleep
- Faster recovery from workouts and injuries
〰 PRIMAL 〰 SUGAR-FREE 〰 GRAIN-FREE 〰 LOW-CARB 〰 HIGH-PROTEIN 〰 DELICIOUS
Low-Carb Vanilla Protein Cheese Cake
- 250g of fat-free/ low-fat quark (curd)
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vegan, soy free and gluten-free protein powder (I love vega protein smoothie vanilla)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- vanilla extract (optional)
- sweetner of choice (optional)
- myprotein flavdrops (optional)
- Blend all ingredients well up and pour into your easy-exit baking dish. I bake mine for 30 min at 130• and the cover it with aluminum foil for another 30 min at 160•
- Overturn at a serving dish as soon as it cooled a bit and top with warm berries.
So I alternatate between high protein and high fat days in combination with a low carb diet as a basis. Give it a try and you reap benefits already within the first weeks.
Try the recipe to taste what I snack on to keep my protein levels high – especially on workout days.