I noticed my diet has become protein-laden lately and even though I still think a healthy amount of protein should be part of every meal, I feel I need to avoid getting too much of it and steer back into my low-carb/ high-fat ways for increased energy, increased leanness and overall well-being.
One of my best Instagram inspirations – Anja from Ljubljana in Slovenia (@healthy_simples_clean) – lives up to her name and I got triggered to try her version of paleo porridge – tweaked it to my taste buds and want to share a delicious, tummy-friendly breakfast or snack idea with you today.
Not only does my mom frequently remind me of the benefits of porridge or oats in the morning – or generally any type of warm breakfast – I was craving an extra load of fiber, extra healthy fats and vegetables: low-carb zucchini porridge was born.
Especially the ground flax seeds add a ton of health benefits to the breakfast dish, as it helps with digestion and also benefits a glowing skin complexity. So give it a try.
Low-Carb Zucchini Porridge
Zucchini (or squash) are actually great to incorporate into sweet dishes, as their subtle taste allows it to easily blend with stronger flavours like chocolate or vanilla. My mom loves making zucchini cake and you would never know you get an extra load of veggies with it.
- 100-150g grated zucchini
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of stevia
- 1 splash of unsweetened almond milk/ cashew milk
- 1 tbs flaxseed
- 1 tbs chiaseed
- 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder ( I used the Vega Chocolate Smoothie)
- 1 tsp coconut flakes for decorating (optional)
- berries (optional)
- Add all ingredients into a small blender and blitz them up before adding them to a sauce pan to gently bring the porridge to a boil.
- Let it bubble away for 5 minutes and serve immediately with coconut flakes, cacao nibs or berries.