Last weekend had me fully embrace early summer sunshine and 25 degrees – yes, tan lines are already visible – and today, Germany’s spring weather turned it all around and dropped the temperatures down to 10° – with drizzle. Thank you.
Cold weather and my general dislike of wearing a warm jacket in May had me craving some soup for dinner – and as my spirits are up, I will use the murky drizzle as inspiration for an amazing low-carb dinner full of power and healthy ingredients to refuel my body: MEAT MEAT MEAT.
Usually I tend to opt for chicken or turkey breast – fair enough and delicious – but sometimes a girl needs a piece of steak. Do not be afraid of red meat and after you look at this drool-worthy piece of Bavarian flank steak, I will tell you why:
My Fit Tip
If you chose wisely and opt for lean cuts, like for example eye of round, sirloin steaks or skirt, beef is a relatively low-calorie food when you compare it to the number of nutrients it contains: proteins (duh), zinc, phosphorus, iron and important B-complex vitamins – it can therefore help to built strong muscles, healthy teeth and bones and will support the overall energy supply to our cells.
Enough with the rambling though , enjoy without guilt please.
Low-Carb Beef Stroganoff Soup
This soup is amazing for dinner with only 180 cal per 500ml serving and perfect macros to kick-start fat burn over night: 2g carbs / 7g fat / 26g protein
- 200g lean flank steak
- coarsely ground pepper
- 1 pinch of guar gum
- 1000 ml bone/ beef broth
- 300g champignons
- 2-3 stems of spring onion, roughly chopped
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 1 tablespoon french mustard
- olive oil
- chives, chopped
- Heat some olive oil in a soup pot and start searing the spring onions – add mustard to give the onions some flavour and season with ground pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- Cut the beef into bite sized pieces and season well with group pepper as well – sprinkle with guar gum.
- Add the beef to the onions and let it brown on high a bit, make sure not to burn it though.
- Chop the mushrooms as well and add them to the mix, I like to add a little more pepper.
- After the mix has cooked for 3-5 minutes, turn down the heat and add the broth to it.
- Simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes and serve immediately – best with chives on top.
You like to dunk some bread in your soup, but wanted to keep this dinner low-carb?
No problem – check out my protein flax buns as a healthy, grain-free option.